If you plan to patent your invention, you may want to speak to patent attorneys Chicago IL trusts. Filing a patent is complicated and can take up a lot of your time. Patent applications are examined very thoroughly and may get denied if standards and requirements aren’t met. At Sherinian Law, we are knowledgeable about patent law and may help you file a patent successfully. To fully evaluate the intellectual property a business owns, owners obtain a Chicago IL patent attorney for guidance when asking themselves the following questions:
Why You Should Use a Patent Attorney?
Creating your own invention is something to be proud of. However, simply creating something and selling it are not the only steps you should take. Inventions can come with filing for patents which will protect your work from being stolen by others. The Chicago, IL patent attorneys at Sherinian Law have worked with many inventors, helping them navigate patent laws, and ensuring their inventions had the necessary safeguards. If you need advice from a patent attorney from Chicago IL, or would like to schedule your consultation, contact us today.
What Do Patent Attorneys Do?
How do Chicago IL patent attorneys differ from other attorneys? Do I need a specialized attorney when filing for a patent? Patent attorneys at our Chicago, Illinois office know the ins and outs of what you will need to protect your IP (intellectual property). Your Illinois attorney can review your invention, take you step-by-step through the application for the patent, and help you obtain the patent. While patent attorneys must pass the state exam to specialize in patents, they must also earn their license through the USPTO, also known as the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
What Requirement Are Expected For Patent Training?
- Many patent attorneys in the Chicago IL area are required to earn a separate four-year degree in science, whether it is physics or chemistry. In other cases, they might hold a civil or mechanical engineering degree.
- In addition to this four-year degree, Chicago IL patent attorneys are also required to successfully go through a law program at an accredited university, and pass their state exam.
- They must pass the USPTO license exam. This is also referred to as the patent bar.
- Like many fields, the patent practices are always changing, so a patent attorney needs to remain up-to-date in the practices within their field.
How Can Chicago IL Patent Attorneys Help Me?
In addition to guidance and advice, Chicago IL patent attorneys help protect your intellectual property by filing the necessary applications to obtain many types of protection. Many duties of Chicago IL patent attorneys include:
- Giving advice on contract issues like licensing
- Dealing with the registration of intellectual property rights
- Taking care of prosecuting those who violate the patent or attack your intellectual property
- Advising their clients on the best way to protect certain types of inventions, like trademarks, designs, or software
- Investigating the state of the patent and the invention
Is Having a Chicago IL Patent Attorney Required When Filing a Patent?
It is not required that you have a patent attorney from Chicago IL when filing a patent for your invention. That said, filing a patent on your own can often leave you feeling trapped under difficult legal terminology and unsure of the appropriate technical terms that you may encounter. This is why it is recommended that you work with a patent attorney from our Chicago, IL office.
Why a Patent Is Important?
Filing a patent can be a long and tedious process, but the benefits make it worthwhile. Here are a few benefits a patent provides:
- Prevent Theft: If you hire a patent attorney in Chicago IL to help you get a patent, you won’t have to worry about others stealing your invention. If others attempt to copy, distribute or sell your invention without permission, you have the right to sue for damages.
- Increased Revenue: Excluding others from making and selling your invention can reduce supply in the marketplace. If there is a market demand for your product, you can charge higher prices for it and bring in more revenue.
- Expand Market Share: Patent attorneys from Chicago IL have represented clients who had the opportunity to expand their patented inventions into different markets. If you have a patented product, you may have the ability to license the rights to businesses in different markets, and receive royalty payments from sales.
Do you know the value of your intellectual property?
Most businesses do not realize just how much IP they actually own. A patent attorney in Chicago IL can help you to list all of the intellectual properties under your business and determine how much protection the property holds based on its’ value. The owner should then determine how much they are willing to spend to defend the property should a competitor try to infringe upon it. A Chicago IL patent attorney can help you to protect intellectual property in the most cost-effective way possible.
Does the business rely heavily on sales via the internet?
A competitor may try to steal your business by creating a domain name that is similar to your company’s name. A patent attorney from Chicago IL that you can trust may be able to resolve this issue using the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (I-CANN). Another option, is filing a lawsuit through the civil court system.
Is the business or brand name protected?
To protect the business name, a Chicago IL patent attorney can assist you to register a trademark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. If someone tries to use the brand name, you can file a trademark infringement lawsuit.
Does the business have trade secrets that need to be protected?
If so, then policies need to be put into place to protect those secrets. A Chicago IL patent attorney recommends that you consider doing so by requiring employees and business associates to sign non-disclosure agreements (NDAs). Make sure these agreements have been drawn up and approved by a patent attorney from Chicago IL. If you believe one of your trade secrets has been stolen, your Chicago IL patent attorney can file an injunction to stop the use of these materials, as well as file a lawsuit for monetary damages.
Conditions a Patent Must Meet
An invention is required to meet several conditions to obtain patent protection. When applying for a patent with patent attorneys Chicago IL relies on, make sure your invention meets the following conditions:
- Novelty: An invention must be completely unknown to others to be patentable. In your patent application, you must explain how your invention is different from previous inventions
- Utility: Usefulness is another factor used to determine if an invention is patentable or not. To meet this requirement, your invention has to be useful right now. If you can only demonstrate that the invention has the potential to be useful in the future, it isn’t considered patentable.
- Non-Obvious: Proving that an invention is sufficiently unique is one of the most common challenges Chicago IL patent attorneys see their clients face. To satisfy this requirement, you must demonstrate that there is an inventive leap between your invention and previous inventions. If your invention’s usefulness is just the next logical step of an existing patented invention, a patent may be denied.
- Not Disclosed: An invention also can’t be disclosed to the public before filing a patent. If you talk about your invention with others before you fill out an application, it isn’t considered public knowledge anymore and can’t be patented.
If you need help filing your patent, contact Sherinian Law to work with Chicago, IL’s trusted patent attorneys today.
Protecting Your Business’ Intellectual Property
Patent attorneys in Chicago IL can tell you that many business owners believe that the only intellectual property they have to protect are any inventions the company has patented. However, there are many other aspects of a company that are also considered intellectual property that should be protected from competitor infringement. Some of these include:
- The company’s website domain name
- Works of art, writing, or music (copyright)
- Brand names and logos (Trademark)
- Business’ trade dress, including the visual aspects of the company’s packaging, products, websites, and even the company’s business architecture
- Trade secrets which include proprietary methods and processes, as well as algorithms, client lists, patterns, and any other information closely guarded from competitors
If you own a business, you want to do all you can to make sure your company is protected from unscrupulous competitors. Call Sherinian Law today and let one of our patent attorneys in Chicago IL evaluate your business and determine what type of IP protections you should have in place.
Contact The Sherinian Law, an Illinois Patent Attorney Today
Filing a patent is a big step for your invention, so take your time filling out the application. If you don’t understand something in the application, you may want to hire patent attorneys in Chicago IL for the help you need. They may review your application for accuracy and help you fix any errors. You have already come up with an invention that can make other people’s lives better or easier. Leave the legal details up to a Chicago IL patent attorney. If you are searching for patent attorneys Chicago IL offers, contact Sherinian Law today.