December 5, 2019
Motor vehicle accidents are scary. Motor vehicle accidents can be very traumatic and life-altering in several ways. If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident that contains a hit-and-run, this may pack on an intense load of additional stress and frustration. Hit-and-run accidents occur when an individual strikes other property and leaves the scene of the accident before taking the proper steps to resolve the matter. Which may include, calling the police, exchanging contact information, and insurance information. Should you or someone you know be a victim of a hit-and-run, although you are frustrated, there are a few things you should do immediately after.
What you do following a hit-and-run incident is just as important as what the at-fault party is expected to do. It is impossible to gather the at-fault party’s contact and insurance information, therefore there are additional steps that must be taken that will assist you in seeking compensation damages that you have suffered.
1. Get to a safe location so that you may avoid another incident occurring. It is natural to want to chase the other person that caused the accident, but this is not safe. If necessary, always seek medical attention as soon as possible.
2. Call law enforcement. Reporting the accident informs law enforcement that this occurred, hit-and-run accidents could also lead to criminal charges for the other party so officers should be informed. Provide all the details you have, maybe the color, make, and model of the car, as well as the direction it had gone with the license plate number should you have it. Photos are very helpful.
3. Any information that you have related to the incident should be kept during this investigation. Photos of your vehicle, any property damage, any injuries, and the scene of the accident. Take note of the details of the incident and how it occurred.
4. Check for witnesses and gather their record of the incident, as well as their contact information should they be able to help you in the future of your case. This is information is likely to support your story as well.
5. Report the accident to your automobile insurance company. Depending on your coverage, you may be covered for property damage and bodily injury with this instance under Uninsured or Uninsured Motorist coverage. When you contact them, let them know the details of what occurred.
6. Speak with a skilled personal injury attorney to see what legal options you have regarding the damages and filing a potential claim.
Personal injury attorneys offer free consultations, once these steps are taken and if taken properly, a car accident attorney in Dekalb County, GA will be able to help you that much more. Contact an attorney as soon as possible.
Thanks to Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. for their insight into personal injury claims and hit and run cases.