What Steps Should I Take After Suffering Injury in a T-Bone Accident?
After being seriously injured in a T-bone accident, please don’t wait to discuss your options with a T-bone accident lawyer Chicago, IL residents trust. You’ll want to be sure that you can recoup enough money to cover your medical care, time away from work and other losses resulting from the accident.
What to Do at the Accident Site
First, check to make sure that you and any passengers are not bleeding, unconscious or otherwise in need of an ambulance ride to the hospital. If possible, exit the vehicle and move to a safe location out of the way of oncoming traffic. As you do, also check on the occupants of the other vehicle.
Next, collect the other driver’s contact information and write down their license plate number. Call the police to come to the scene of the crash. You’ll need a copy of the police report later. Take pictures of the accident scene on your phone and try to remember as much as you can.
If you are hurt and need to go to the hospital immediately, skip the steps above and just find medical care as quickly as possible.
Communicating with Insurers and the Other Driver
Most of the time, it is safe to assume that the person who rammed the side of your vehicle was at fault for the crash, but you can’t assume that everyone will want to see it the same way. Therefore, be very careful who you talk to and what you say. Here are some tips:
- Avoid talking to the other driver’s insurance company altogether, even if they contact you directly. You are usually not obligated to speak with them.
- When you talk to your insurer, avoid admitting any fault for the crash or suggesting that you may have been partly to blame. Your insurer may try to use these statements to limit or deny your claim.
- Avoid giving any official statements until you have the chance to speak to an attorney
- Don’t detail your injuries until you’ve been checked out by a physician. It is better to wait until you know for sure what you are dealing with.
- Remember that your insurance company makes money by limiting and denying claims. Therefore, their interests are not necessarily the same as yours.
Talk to an Experienced Illinois Attorney about Your Options
Even if you are unsure about pursuing litigation, it is advantageous to contact a car accident lawyer Chicago, IL residents know and trust. An attorney can explain all of your legal options in a free initial consultation, and can even communicate directly with the insurance company on your behalf so that you don’t have to. Having an attorney represent you lets others know you are serious, which could result in a better settlement offer. If it doesn’t, you also have the option of taking the case to trial.
At the Law Offices of Konrad Sherinian, we are proud to help accident victims claim the justice and compensation they deserve. To learn more about how we can help you, call our office to speak to a Chicago, IL T-bone accident lawyer today.