3 Common Birth-Related Medical Malpractice Scenarios
A medical malpractice attorney Naperville IL locals recommend might explain that birth-related medical malpractice occurs when the doctor or other medical caregiver makes a serious mistake or was negligent when treating a patient.
When it comes to treating a pregnant woman and the birthing process, a newborn can suffer serious injury, illness or even death if the medical professional makes a mistake. There are three common types of birth medical malpractice, when mistakes may occur during birth or a woman’s pregnancy. Below we go more in-depth into these scenarios of why, and how they happen. If you or a family member may have been injured by a medical professional, immediately contact a Naperville medical malpractice attorney from Sherinian Law. We may be able to collect a settlement on your behalf.
Mother/Infant Birth Injury
The mother and infant can suffer conditions that arise during pregnancy or birth. An experienced medical malpractice attorney Naperville IL victims trust is familiar with both scenarios. Some examples of mother/infant injuries or illnesses include:
- Caput Succedaneum: the newborn’s scalp swells, most often due to head-first delivery and/or a birth procedure using extraction via a vacuum.
- Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy (Erb’s Palsy): damages to the infant’s nerves in the neck or shoulder area, which were stretched farther than able during birth.
- Cephalohematoma: caused as a result of vacuum extraction birth procedures.
- Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy: lack of sufficient oxygen flow to the infant’s brain.
- Fractures: the baby can suffer from collarbone or clavicle fractures due to mishandling during birth.
- Subconjunctival Hemorrhage: when the baby endures various pressures on his or her body during the delivery process, and a blood vessels in the eyes are ruptured.
- Ectopic Pregnancy: the fertilized egg was improperly placed in the fallopian tubes, cervix, ovary or abdomen instead of the uterus.
- Molar Pregnancy: when a pregnancy is misdiagnosed, and there is a tumor growing in the uterus instead of a fetus.
Ruptured Placenta (placental abruption): the placenta detaches from the uterus before childbirth.
- Cesarean Section Injuries: the mother and baby can both experience many kinds of injuries during a c-section. The two main scenarios are when the c-section failed to be performed properly by the doctor, or the c-section was not performed within the needed amount of time.
This happens when parents were not informed about birth defects of the fetus, and would have terminated or avoided the pregnancy if they had known prior to birth. Parents most often claim the medical staff or doctor did not warn them about these birth defects. The doctor may have failed to notice mental or physical impairments in the early stages of pregnancy. A medical malpractice attorney Naperville IL community members rely on can investigate the circumstances with the help of medical experts.
Parents attempt to avoid pregnancy, but the doctor or staff failed to abort, sterilize or perform pregnancy testing accurately. Unlike other types of medical malpractice cases associated with births, the babies in wrongful pregnancy are most often healthy. However, the parents now must handle an initially unwanted pregnancy. A medical malpractice attorney Naperville IL patients turn to may be able to negotiate a settlement to cover the costs associated with the baby’s needs.
Compensation for wrongful pregnancy, wrongful birth and mother/infant injuries vary by state and is based on how much information can be gathered to prove that medical malpractice occurred. Many parents choose to consult with an attorney for a case evaluation, before bringing the lawsuit to court. Most law firms offer a free consultation for new clients with a medical malpractice attorney in Naperville IL. This is an excellent opportunity to determine if a claim or lawsuit is the right choice.
Thank you kindly to the attorneys at Sherinian Law for their knowledge into medical malpractice cases. Call them at (630) 318-2606 if you would like to learn more from a medical malpractice attorney Naperville IL offers.