January 28, 2020
When you’re grieving for a loved one, thinking about finding an attorney to handle a wrongful death claim can be overwhelming. You don’t want to spend a lot of time researching how to find a lawyer, but you shouldn’t necessarily choose the first person you speak to. Here are five things to look for when you are ready to speak to a wrongful death lawyer.
Key Factors in Choosing a Wrongful Death Lawyer
Some information you can read about on a lawyer’s website, but you should interview the lawyer to delve into details.
- How much experience does the lawyer have in the area of the law? If your loved one died from a commercial truck accident, you don’t hire an attorney who specializes in construction accidents.
- What is the lawyer’s current caseload and how popular is the person? Popularity is a double-edged sword. On one side, you know that the lawyer has a good reputation, but on the other, it means less time for each client.
- Who will actually be working on the case? How is the time billed? When a paralegal or associate works on your case, will you be billed at a lower rate?
- What is the attorney’s reputation in the community? Talk to people in the industry who might be aware of the lawyer. What do you hear about the lawyer?
- Look at online reviews. Is there a balance of good and not-so-good reviews? Too many good reviews without anyone saying negative things could be a red flag because no attorney will make everyone happy. Too many bad reviews without any good ones is another problem. Unhappy customers tend to be more outspoken, but happy clients should be talking, too.
- Check with the local bar association about disciplinary actions.
- Look for a local attorney who knows the judges and other lawyers who may be involved in your case. This information can be valuable when negotiating and mediating.
- Listen to your inner voice. Make sure you feel comfortable with the lawyer. You will be dealing with this person and need to trust the lawyer with what may be intimate details of your life. If you can’t communicate with the lawyer, it will make the process even more difficult.
Why You Need a Lawyer for Your Wrongful Death Claim
Wrongful death lawsuits are complex issues. You can’t just Google it and handle it yourself. You will need experts to show the negligence of the other party. It takes financial specialists to demonstrate the economic damages. You need a wrongful death attorney in Minneapolis MN who can present your case successfully. Contact a lawyer to discuss your case to take the next steps.
Thanks to Johnston | Martineau PLLP, Attorneys at Law for their insight into wrongful death claims.